Type of Job
About the job
· Our client is a clinical stage biotechnology company that is poised for significant growth.
· This is a great opportunity to be on the ground floor of a highly anticipated Biotech company and be an instrumental player in building out the accounting/finance infrastructure.
The Controller’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Supervise AR, AP, payroll, fixed asset activities.
· Oversee tax, statutory and legal entity requirements for both US and International Locations.
· Lead technical accounting assessments (e.g. business combinations, ASC 842), and derive proper accounting conclusions documented with technical memos for management and auditors.
· Implement SOX.
· Prepare accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP, sufficient to meet Company's external reporting obligations and internal reporting requests
· Design and manage the monthly closing process adequate to ensure timely and accurate financial statements
· Design, implement and maintain system of internal controls to ensure safeguarding of Company assets and accurate financial statements
· Plan and manage year-end audit/tax process
· Provide accounting guidance with respect to business decisions - e.g. reviewing development agreements and identifying any accounting issues (i.e., revenue recognition)
· Assist with the design and implementation of a new finance and accounting system
· Design, implement and maintain an annual budgeting process that incorporates key management in the process and delivers credible, timely budgets
· Calculate, maintain and report on key financial metrics such as those for banks/debt holders, corporate goals, bonus calculations, etc.
· Prepare board review packages, and present to executive management
· Identify staffing needs to support the build-out of the accounting infrastructure. Hire, train and develop staff.
In-depth knowledge of accounting and financial reporting for private and public companies
Startup experience a plus
Bachelors’ degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent.
Advanced degree (MBA, MSA) and/or CPA highly desirable
Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including international reporting experience and public company experience as controller.
Big 4 Public Accounting experience preferred.
Strong SEC Reporting and technical accounting and experience (business combinations, revenue recognition, stock-based compensation, etc.)
Pharmaceutical, Biotech or Life Science experience preferred.
Emeryville, CA, USA